Mississauga is fortunate to have many City pools to help keep residents active and cool throughout the year. To ensure swimming remains fun and safe for all, the City is now recruiting qualified aquatic instructor lifeguards. Starting July 4, anyone 15 years of age and older is encouraged to apply. Applications are being accepted until July 30 for positions that will start in the fall.
City lifeguards provide the safe supervision of swimmers, educate and promote drowning prevention, teach swimming lessons, and enforce pool rules at the City’s 12 indoor pools and seven outdoor pools.
“We’re excited to share that, in accordance with the Government of Ontario’s announcement of reducing the lifeguard qualifying age to 15, we can increase the number of qualified applicants,” said Lisa Boyce-Gonsalves, Manager, Aquatics, Therapeutic and Fitness. “Becoming a lifeguard is really rewarding! It can be a great part-time job or it could develop into a lifelong career. Many of our lifeguards become teachers, paramedics, firefighters, recreation supervisors and more. Becoming a City lifeguard is a great place to kick-start your career.”
There are many benefits for City of Mississauga lifeguards, including:
- Discounts on recertifications
- Opportunity to gain and develop leadership skills
- Benefits and Health Spending account*
- Paid vacation and sick time
- OMERS pension enrollment*
- Career advancement opportunities
*Minimum number of hours required for qualification
Apply to become a City lifeguard
- National Lifeguard – Pool
- Lifesaving Society – Swim Instructors
- Lifesaving Society – Lifesaving Instructors
- Lifesaving Society – Emergency First Aid Instructors
- Standard First Aid/CPR C with AED
- High Five – Principles of Healthy Childhood Development
Missing qualifications and interested in building your skills? Look into Mississauga’s leadership programs.
Not 15 yet? Become a volunteer.
To learn more about swimming at the City, visit mississauga.ca/swimming.
For career opportunities at the City, visit mississauga.ca/jobs.