Celebrate Safely this Lunar New Year

Mississauga is a vibrant and diverse city that always has something to celebrate. As the Lunar New Year approaches, families across the city are getting ready to welcome the Year of the Dragon with food, fireworks, decorations, music, lanterns, gifts and more.

Lunar New Year is one of the largest celebrations for Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean and Southeast Asian communities around the world, including Mississauga. Families and friends will come together to give thanks for the blessings of the year, exchange gifts and celebrate the arrival of the New Year.

Follow these safety reminders to ensure your Lunar New Year celebrations are safe and enjoyable for everyone:


The City of Mississauga has a Fireworks By-law to regulate the lighting of fireworks within Mississauga. Fireworks for Lunar New Year are allowed at home on your private property on Saturday, February 10 from dusk until 11 p.m.

To use fireworks on a public street or park, you must obtain a permit from the City or call 905-896-5908.

To dispose of used or unused fireworks, completely submerge the fireworks in water and soak them overnight. Wrap the soaked fireworks in a plastic bag to keep them from drying out, and dispose of them in your garbage bin.

Lights and décor

If you’re planning to use candles, remember to keep them in a sturdy holder on a heat-resistant surface. Keep flames a safe distance from curtains, lanterns, furniture, decorations and loose clothing. Keep children and pets away from all sources of heat and flames.

Stay safe in the kitchen

Lunar New Year brings families together. If you plan to cook, remember to stay safe:

  • Turn your hot appliances off if you have to leave the kitchen.
  • Keep towels and clothes away from the stovetop and never cook or barbecue in your garage.
  • If you’re frying or cooking with oil, you must be careful. Hot oil can catch fire easily – use a deep fryer with a temperature gauge that will make sure the fat does not get too hot.

Additional information

  • Having guests over who plan to stay a while? Consider applying for a temporary parking permit.
  • Visit Mississauga’s fire prevention page for more tips on how to prevent a fire.
  • Submit a complaint for illegal use of fireworks on private property, sidewalks, boulevards and residential roads by calling 311 or online.
  • To report fireworks in City parks or school properties call the Facility Watch Program at 905-615-4060
  • To report fireworks on major public roadways or unsafe fireworks use, residents should contact Peel Regional Police using the non-emergency number: 905-453-3311. Please do not call 911 for fireworks complaints.