WINDROW PROGRAM IS NOW SOLD OUT AND NO LONGER TAKING APPLICATIONS FOR 2023
Registration for the City of Mississauga’s Driveway Windrow Snow Clearing Program is now open until Friday, December 1. The program supports Mississauga residents who are 65 years old and older as well as persons with physical disabilities.
A windrow is a pile of snow that is left at the end of a driveway after street snow-clearing operations are completed. Registered participants will get a three-metre space cleared in their driveway windrow so that a car can get in and out safely.
“Winter storms with heavier snowfall have become the new normal, making windrows an unpleasant but unavoidable part of winter in Mississauga and our neighbouring municipalities. We understand the challenges this creates for some residents, which is why we have expanded this popular program so that more residents can get the help they need this winter,” said Mayor Bonnie Crombie. “We have more than doubled the number of spots in the program from 300 to 750. We’ve also opened registration early and extended the deadline. If you or someone you know has trouble clearing their driveway windrow and meets the program qualifications, I encourage you to consider applying.”
The Driveway Windrow Snow Clearing Program runs from Friday, December 1, 2023 to Monday, March 11, 2024 and is available to 750 participants on a first-come, first-served basis. The cost is $200 (non-refundable) for the season or free for those who meet financial assistance criteria.
“We are encouraging and asking those who are interested in this program to register as early as possible because winter weather is unpredictable,” said Helen Noehammer, Director, Works Operations and Maintenance. “When you apply for the program, we complete a site inspection of your driveway so that our crews are prepared to clear a space in the windrow properly and efficiently. Even though registration is open until December 1, any significant snow we get before then may not make it possible for our crews to complete the required driveway inspection. By applying early, we’re able to process your application and complete the necessary inspection so that we’re ready to clear your windrow when snow does arrive.”
Apply online or in person
- Submit an application online
- Submit an application in person at any of the City’s community centres, the Mississauga Seniors’ Centre or the Recreation Customer Service Centre at Paramount Fine Foods Centre during business hours. Applicants can download and print the forms or get paper copies at the in-person locations.
You will need the following documents to apply:
- A completed Driveway Windrow Snow Clearing Application Form
- Proof of residency in Mississauga (e.g. driver’s licence, recent utility bill or lease agreement)
- If you are 65 years of age or older, you’ll need to provide proof of your age (e.g. birth certificate, driver’s licence or passport)
- If you are 64 years of age or under, you’ll need to submit one of the following as proof of a physical disability:
- Driveway Windrow Snow Clearing Health Assessment
- Accessible parking permit
- TransHelp acceptance letter
- If you’re applying for the free program, you’ll also need to provide documents that show the total net income or earnings for your household
For registration help, call 311 (or 905-615-4311 outside city limits).
For more information about the program, including program eligibility, financial assistance criteria and service levels, visit mississauga.ca/windrow.