May 19, 2021
Today at Council, MiWay virtually announced the 2020-2021 MiWay Student Ambassador winners. Students helped promote the benefits of taking public transit as part of the eleventh year of the program, which included 37 ambassadors representing 25 Mississauga schools.
2020-2021 Student Ambassador Winners:
- First place: Lilian Vien and Nouran Kushnaw, Port Credit Secondary School
- Second place: Khyati Eda, John Fraser Secondary School
- Third place: Sameer Ahmadi and Jack Lam, Applewood Secondary School
“I’m proud to see what these students have accomplished in such a challenging year. They were very creative with their ideas and promotional methods,” said Geoff Marinoff, Director, Transit. “With the interruption of the school year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we continue to make adjustments on how we deliver this program so that students can continue to participate virtually and earn prizes. We’re pleased to acknowledge these winners today.”
For the second year in a row, the Student Ambassador Program meetings were adapted to a digital format so students could take part and engage with one another in an online space.
The MiWay Student Ambassador Program provides an opportunity for Mississauga’s high school students to:
- Educate their school community about the benefits of taking MiWay
- Network with MiWay staff and other MiWay Student Ambassadors
- Help build skills, such as leadership, communication and team collaboration, positioning them for success in their future endeavours
- Earn volunteer hours
MiWay’s Marketing team was presented with the Canadian Urban Transit Association (CUTA) Leadership Award for Marketing and Communications for the MiWay Student Ambassador Program at CUTA’s virtual conference in November 2020. This award recognizes exceptional development and implementation of marketing and communications initiatives.
The 2021-2022 MiWay Student Ambassador Program will kick off this fall and follow a virtual format. For more program information, visit miway.ca/ambassador.