Report excessive noise

By November 3, 2023November 14th, 2023Issues

You can report excessive, persistent and recurring noises that violate the Noise Control By-law in your neighbourhood to the City.

Regulated noise types

The City’s Noise Control By-law prohibits noise that cause disturbances to residents in their homes. We respond to reports about the following noise types heard outside their permitted times.

A comprehensive list of noise types the City regulates is available in the Noise Control By-law.

When to contact law enforcement agencies

If the noise is caused by domestic disputes, yelling or moving vehicles, report it to the Peel Police. For non-emergencies, call 905-453-3311. For emergencies, call 911.

If the noise is caused by train whistling, call the following:

  • CN Rail Emergency CN Police at 1-800-465-9239
  • CP Rail Emergency CP Police at 1-800-716-9132


If you break the regulations within the Noise Control By-law, you may be subject to a fine of up to $5,000.

What happens next

Upon receiving your report, the City will take the following actions.

  • Review and prioritize the report based on its likelihood to reoccur and impact to residents.
  • Determine if an onsite investigation by an enforcement officer is required to proceed with the case.

Personal information

Your personal information is collected under the authority of sections 11(1) and 227(c) of the Municipal Act, 2001 and will be used by City of Mississauga Staff to respond to your service request and/or inquiry.

To learn more, click here.