Beginning Friday, October 28, 2022, at 10PM to Monday October 31, 2022, at 5AM
What work is taking place?
Starting October 28, 2022, at 10PM, crews will work around the clock for 55 hours to install a large structure, also known as the Push Box, that will form a new and additional underpass at the QEW highway along Hurontario Street to support the future LRT. This work will be continuous and is scheduled to be completed at 5AM on October 31, 2022, at which point the QEW, and Hurontario Street will be reopened for normal operations. If roadways are delayed in opening, updates will be provided by signage in the area, through the media and through social media.
What is closed? What is the detour?
There will be significant restrictions east and westbound on the QEW. Traffic will be reduced to two lanes in each direction and diverted off the highway to the Hurontario Street off and on ramps before returning to the QEW. There is also coordination with other MTO works at the QEW/Credit River Bridge to ensure traffic flows before and after the QEW/Hurontario Street closure. North and southbound Hurontario Street under the QEW will also be closed between North Service Road and South Service Road. There will be no access to the QEW on ramps from Hurontario Street and access to the QEW will be detoured as per the map above to Cawthra Road. Detours routes and signage will be set in place and signal timings will be adjusted to ensure traffic continues to move during this weekend.
Transit service will be detoured, resulting in no MiWay service between South Service Road and Mineola Road during this weekend.
Please check www.MiWay.ca/updates.
There will be no pedestrian or cycling access at the tunnel east of Hurontario Street and under the QEW on Hurontario Street during this closure. This is necessary to complete the work safely and in the least amount of time.
Access for emergency vehicles will always be permitted through a coordinated effort with Paid Duty Officers (PDOs) and traffic crews on scene.
What to expect after the closure (Monday October 31, 2022)
• Traffic control devices and signage will be removed or modified
• Peel Police, OPP and traffic crews will assist in restoring traffic
• There will be minimal site restoration required along Hurontario and additional site restoration on the QEW and its ramps will be performed through work windows outside of the 55-hour closure
• Monitoring will continue consistently throughout the weekend
Please note, work may be rescheduled due to weather or unforeseen circumstances. If you require the most up-to-date information, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
• The QEW highway, in both directions, will be reduced to two lanes and traffic will be diverted to the Hurontario Street off and on ramps between 10PM Friday, October 28 until approximately 5AM Monday, October 31, 2022.
• Hurontario Street under the QEW will be closed between North Service Road and South Service from 10PM Friday October 28 until approximately 5AM Monday, October 31, 2022. There will be no access to the QEW on ramps from Hurontario Street during this time and traffic will be detoured.
• Closures and detours will be in place throughout the entire duration of the work.
• Significant traffic delays are expected – consider alternate routes, transit or changing your plans.
• Access to southbound Hurontario Street will be maintained through a detour route from The Queensway, Cawthra Road, and Lakeshore Road.
• Access to northbound Hurontario Street will be maintained through a detour route from the South Service Road, Cawthra Road, and The Queensway.
• Watch for slow moving vehicles entering and exiting work areas.
• Remember to reduce your speed when approaching lane reductions and road closures.
WHAT TO EXPECT
• Residents and businesses near the work site can expect increased traffic on local streets and to hear noise and vibration caused by trucks, excavators, backhoes, and other construction equipment related to this work.
• MiWay’s Route 2 – Hurontario will be on detour during this closure. Route 2 will not service Hurontario Street between South Service Road and Mineola Road. Visit www.miway.ca/updates for information on your bus route and schedule.
• Visit www.gotransit.com for information on GO Bus detours.
• Watch for additional signs directing passengers at bus stops as boarding areas may be relocated.
• Access under the QEW on Hurontario Street and the pedestrian tunnel will be closed.
• Please obey all construction signs as pedestrian access under the QEW will be closed.
• Please take care when travelling near construction areas.
• Metrolinx has a dedicated community relations team in place to work with residents in Peel region through the construction and operation of this project.
• 24-hour line 416-202-7500