CITY OF MISSISSAUGA
NOTICE OF EXPANDED STUDY AREA
Dixie-Dundas Flood Mitigation Project
• The lands south of Little Etobicoke Creek surrounding Dixie Road, referred to as “Dixie-Dundas” for this project, are subject to flooding as a result of spilling from the creek during high flow conditions. This urban area consists of a variety of commercial, industrial, residential, and park land uses.
• The study area of the Schedule ‘C’ Municipal Class Environmental Assessment (EA) has been expanded downstream to the Canadian Pacific (CP) railway crossing. This expanded study area includes the Dundas Street East crossing.
• Recent hydraulic modelling indicated that expansion of the study area to include the Dundas Street East crossing and downstream areas is required to seek flood mitigation solutions for the Dixie-Dundas area.
• The City of Mississauga has an interest to protect flood-vulnerable residences and businesses as well as to intensify Dixie-Dundas to fulfill the vision of growth expressed in the Dundas Connects Master Plan.
• Alternative conceptual solutions for the expanded study area are currently being developed. The alternative solutions for the initial study area are presented on the project website below.
• In consultation with the public and agencies, the EA will evaluate these alternative solutions to identify preferred alternatives for both the initial and expanded study area. The preferred alternatives will then be advanced to preliminary design.
• The preferred solution will mitigate the risks of flooding, to the extent possible, to people, property, and infrastructure.
• At the end of the EA, a report documenting the process will be available for public review.
• Consultation is an essential part of the EA process. We want to ensure that anyone with an interest in the study has the opportunity to provide input as the study proceeds.
• Online public engagement is a part of the project to allow local residents and interested members of the public an opportunity to review project information and provide input for the study area.
• As the study progresses, a project bulletin presenting the alternative solutions for the expanded study area will be made available through the project website. Notification will be provided when this project bulletin is available for review and input.
If you have any questions or comments regarding the project or wish to be placed on the project mailing list, please contact:
Anthony Di Giandomenico, P.Eng.
City of Mississauga
201 City Centre Drive, Suite 800 Mississauga, ON L5B 2T4
(905) 615-3200, ext. 3491
Andrew Doherty, P.Eng.
Consultant Project Manager
Matrix Solutions Inc.
3001-6865 Century Avenue
Mississauga, ON L5N 7K2
The Environmental Assessment will identify preferred alternatives for the initial and expanded study area, in consultation with the public and agencies, and advance these preferred alternatives to preliminary design. The project is being undertaken through the Municipal Class Environmental Assessment Master Planning process, as outlined in the “Municipal Class Environmental Assessment” document (October 2000, amended in 2011), which is approved under the Ontario Environmental Assessment Act. Personal information is collected under the authority of the Environmental Assessment Act and will be used in the assessment process. With exception of personal information, all comments shall become part of the public records. Questions about this collection should be directed to the Project Manager listed above.
This notice of study commencement was first issued on August 6, 2020. This notice of expanded study area was first issued on August 4, 2021.