February 26, 2021
Not all heroes wear capes but many wear face masks. To honour Mississauga residents, community groups and businesses that have gone above and beyond in helping those in the community during the COVID-19 pandemic, the City of Mississauga launched its COVID Heroes program today. A staff report recommending the recognition program was presented during the General Committee meeting on February 24. Final approval of the program will be received during the March 3 Council meeting.
“COVID Heroes are the Mississauga residents who went above and beyond to support their fellow Mississaugans during one of the most unprecedented times in our City’s history,” said Mayor Bonnie Crombie. “We want to honour these heroes, and I encourage everyone to think about those in their own community who did extraordinary things over the last year and nominate them as a COVID Hero.”
The traditional Civic Award of Recognition program has been paused in 2021 for the COVID Heroes program. Any nominations submitted for the traditional program will be reviewed in 2022.
How to Nominate a COVID Hero:
- Fill out the COVID Heroes Nomination Form available at Mississauga.ca/covidheroes
- Email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- February 26 through March 21, 2021
- Nomination criteria is available on the program webpage
- A pre-recorded, virtual ceremony honouring Mississauga COVID Heroes will be shared through the City’s social media channels in April
- Each COVID Hero will receive a certificate signed by Mayor Crombie
- The names of all COVID Heroes will appear on the Mississauga Celebration Square (MCS) ribbon screens from April 21 through May 21, 2021
- A place-making structure dedicated to all COVID Heroes will be placed on MCS from April 21 through to the end of 2021