What is Neighbourhood Watch?
Neighbourhood Watch is an organized group of neighbours looking out for one another, and each other’s property. The no-cost program focuses on neighbourhood transparency, and encourages residents to be aware of crime and suspicious activity that may be happening around them. In a Neighbourhood Watch, the objective is that incidents are reported, not only to police, but also (anonymously) with your neighbours. By participating in the Watch, everyone is alert and working together to maintain safety in their neighbourhood. While the program has been shown to reduce criminal activity, one of the greatest benefits is that it brings people closer together, into a stronger community.
Safe City Mississauga helps to facilitate this process! The Mississauga Neighbourhood Watch program remains one of the largest crime prevention programs in partnership with, and delivered alongside, the Peel Regional Police.
- Set-Up Meeting – Conducted by Safe City Mississauga with invitations to Peel Regional Police and your local Councillor
- An evidence-based crime prevention audit of your neighbourhood – Utilizing CPTED principles, the audit will observe environmental opportunities that are inviting to criminals
- Neighbourhood Watch Signage – a deterrent to would-be offenders that indicates your Watch is active, and people have their eyes on the street
- Email notifications – about local crime and suspicious activity occurrences
- Monthly Bulletins – created by Safe City Mississauga
- Closer relationship with neighbours – The program encourages and supports neighbourhood social events such as potlucks, BBQs, or coffee night outs
- Access to Resources – including crime prevention information, contacts, and safety
For more information, please visit https://safecitymississauga.on.ca/programs/neighbourhood-watch/