September 9, 2021
The City of Mississauga has opened registration for its Driveway Windrow Snow Clearing Program. The program assists adults aged 65 years or older and people with physical disabilities with windrow clearing this winter. A windrow is the pile of snow left at the end of a driveway after a snowplow has cleared the street.
Eligible participants will have windrows cleared beginning November 26, 2021 until March 28, 2022. A space of about three metres (10 feet) wide will be cleared, providing enough space to allow one car to get in and out of the driveway. The program does not include the clearing of the entire driveway.
“The City is once again offering this popular service to eligible residents who may need snow clearing assistance during the winter,” said Mickey Frost, Director, Works Operations and Maintenance. “We’d like to remind participants that windrow clearing will be done once all roads are plowed, which can take up to 36 hours after it stops snowing. In addition, windrows may not be cleared to bare pavement, but they will be made safe enough for cars to pass through. We continue to thank everyone for their patience.”
- Applications will be accepted now until November 12, 2021
- Service will begin November 26, 2021 and end March 28, 2022
- Cost is $200 (non-refundable) or free for those who meet financial assistance criteria
- 300 spaces are available on a first-come, first-serve basis
- 65 years of age in 2021 or older
- People with physical disabilities – must be verified by a regulated health professional
- No able-bodied person can be living at the same residence as participant
- Participant cannot be living in a high-rise, multi-unit building, condominium or within a commercial property
- Participant’s residence cannot be on a private road
- Only one person per address can participate
How to apply:
- Online (new this year): complete and submit an application online at ca/windrow
- In person:
- Bring a completed application form and supporting documents during business hours to any of the City’s 10 community centres, the Mississauga Seniors’ Centre or the Recreation Customer Service Centre at Paramount Fine Foods Centre
- Application forms can be downloaded and printed online at ca/windrow or picked up in-person at any of the locations listed above
For registration assistance, call 311 (or 905-615-4311 outside city limits).
For more information about the program, including program eligibility and financial assistance criteria, visit mississauga.ca/windrow.