COVID FAQ – April 19th, 2021

Below are some frequently asked questions and answers.


  • Current measures
  • Social Gatherings
  • Travel measures


What are the newest measures for Mississauga (Peel Region)?


As of April 8, 2021, Peel Region entered a Provincewide Stay-at-Home order due to the third wave of COVID-19 and variants. On April 16, The Ontario Government announced further restrictions and extended the stay-at-home order until May 20. The new measures include further limiting capacity for in-person retail, not permitting outdoor recreation and restricting interprovincial travel.

How long the will these measures last?

The Stay-at-Home order was extended for an additional two weeks. These measures will be in place until at least May 20, 2021. The provincial government will then assess the impact of public health and workplace safety measures to determine if the region should stay where it is or be moved to a different level.


Can someone living alone still join up with another household?

Yes, they can exclusively join one other household. This is to support their mental health and well-bring, as well as ensure those requiring support continue to have access to essential caregivers.


What are the newest travel measures for flights in and out of Toronto Pearson International Airport?
Effective 12:01 a.m. on February 1, 2021, the Government of Ontario requires on-arrival testing for international travellers at Toronto Pearson International Airport.

Federal quarantine applies for travellers entering Canada. If you can enter Canada and you have no symptoms, you must quarantine for a minimum of 14 days.

At this time, you are not excluded from quarantine, even if you have: been vaccinated for COVID-19, tested negative for COVID-19 or recovered from COVID-19

If you are flying into Canada, your quarantine period includes a mandatory 3 night pre-paid booking at a government-authorized hotel at your own cost. More info:

Can I travel from one area in Ontario to another with a different reopening status?

Stay home, and please do not travel between areas in Ontario unless for essentials. Reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19 in communities. Protect your loved ones.

Can I travel to other provinces?

As of April 16, The Government of Ontario announced restrictions on interprovincial travel between Quebec and Manitoba. More info:



  • Outdoor activities and summer camps
  • Banquet facilities
  • Pools
  • Parking lots – Parks


Is outdoor fitness permitted under the Stay-at-Home order?

All organized outdoor fitness, including Outdoor Fitness Classes, Outdoor Dance Classes and Outdoor Personal Training, is suspended under the shutdown.


Are organized sports, including sports for children permitted?

 At this time, City parks are open but organized team sports play (games, scrimmages) are not permitted under the regulation.


Are golf courses open?

All golf courses are closed until further notice.


Are off-leash dog parks open?

Off-leash dog areas are staying open, with a 2 metre (6 ft) distancing requirement from others not in your household.


Are face masks required in City Parks and on walking/running trails?

Face coverings are required outdoors if you are coming within 2m/6 ft of someone who is not a member of your household, subject to the exemptions.  Masks are also required outdoors when people are in line to get into a business or recreational amenity.  People are not required to wear masks while engaging in an athletic or fitness activity.


Are Mississauga fitness facilities opening?

No, fitness facilities remain closed under the regulation.


Will summer camps be in operation for 2021?

Spring Break Camp has been cancelled. We will continue to plan for summer camp programming and updates can be found on our website at:


Are Rental Event Spaces open?

All rental event spaces and meeting rooms are closed.


Are indoor pools open?

All indoor pools are closed.


Are parks open?

Playgrounds are open, however all other outdoor recreation including: skate parks, picnic areas, baseball diamonds, soccer fields, basketball courts are closed.  Parks are open to permit people to walk, jog or cycle through as long as you are participating in these activities with those who live in your household. Parents and guardians accompanying children to the parks and playgrounds are asked to keep a distance from others and wear a mask if coming in close contact with others.

Can same-household children play sports together or use outdoor equipment?

No – all outdoor recreation is closed for use with the exceptions of playgrounds at the parks.



·       Film Office

·       Dance studios

·       Major events



Is the Film Office open?

The film office is open and accepting film permit requests.


Are dance studios open?

All dance studios are closed.


What is happening with major events in the City?

Many of the City’s major events have been cancelled or deferred, while others are taking place in a virtual format where possible.



·       Curbside pickup

·       Returns


Are City libraries open to the public?

The Library is providing limited services including contactless holds pick up. Customers can reserve hold pick up times by appointment through the library website or by calling library locations. Patrons may enter only for contactless exchange of circulating materials or to access computers/photocopiers


Permitted services (e.g., child care, mental health and addiction support) with a 10 person limit per class/group

Customers can continue to return items at outdoor drop boxes.


Customers can continue to use their library card or virtual card to explore our vast collection of ebooks, audiobooks, our online programming and other virtual resources.



  • Gathering limits

Who do I contact to report violations of the gathering limits?

Contact the 311 to report a violation of the gathering limits.


The Government of Ontario has amended the Reopening Ontario (A Flexible Response to COVID-19) Act, to make it an offence to host an event that exceeds the gatherings limits, with a minimum $10,000 fine, as well as a temporary closure order for violation of the gathering limits.


All provincial offences officers, including police officers, will have the authority to disperse crowds indoors as well as outdoors. For example, when a group of more than five people who are not from the same household are gathering outdoors, they can be required to leave and the premise may be closed.

Are police offers permitted to stop Mississauga residents?

Peel Region Police services the Mississauga community. During the current province-wide shutdown, enhanced enforcement measures mean that by-law and police officers who have reason to believe a person is participating in a prohibited gathering can question individuals  about their reasons for being outside of their home.


Peel Region Police has confirmed that their officers will not be conducting random vehicle or individual stops and will continue to work with our municipal by-law partners and public health officials to respond to complaints and support proactive efforts to raise awareness. This awareness includes focusing our efforts on education and using enforcement only as a last resort.



  • By-law
  • Enforcement/fines
  • Types of acceptable face coverings
  • FAQs for business operators



Why are face coverings mandatory in Peel Region? 

Face coverings are mandatory in Peel Region based on the recommendations of Dr. Lawrence Loh, Medical Officer of Health for the Region of Peel.


How was the decision made to introduce mandatory face coverings? 

The decision to enact a by-law to make face coverings mandatory in certain places in the City of Mississauga was made based on Dr. Loh’s recommendations.  The Province has also made face coverings mandatory in most public establishments and in workplaces.


Where are face coverings required? 

Face coverings are required in public establishments located indoors and are accessible to the public such as retail stores, businesses that sell food and shopping malls. Face coverings are also required when waiting in line/or waiting outside a retail store or a food establishment either to order or pick-up food and people in line or congregating must physically distance.


Are face coverings required in apartment and condominiums?

Yes. Face coverings are now required to be worn in the common areas of multi-unit residential buildings such as apartments and condominiums. They are not required within the individual dwelling units within the buildings but are required in common areas such as the lobby, elevators, halls or parking areas.


Are face coverings required in taxis?

Yes. Face coverings will be required in taxis and private vehicles for hire such as Uber and Lyft


Are face coverings required in places of worship?

Yes. Provincial law requires that masks remain on in places of worship.


Will the City be enforcing the Face Covering By-law in schools?

No. School properties fall under the responsibility of the Government of Ontario, who has set the standard requirements for face coverings in schools. The City’s Face Covering By-law does not apply to schools.


Who do I call to report businesses/individuals that are not following the by-law?

You can call 311 to report any businesses or individuals not following the by-law.


How will the wearing of face coverings be enforced? 

The by-law will be enforced on a complaint basis by municipal law enforcement officers.



Are there any exceptions? 

Yes. Exceptions include children age two and under, people who have trouble breathing or are otherwise unable to wear a face covering for medical reasons or disability and those who are unable to remove a face covering without assistance.


Also, the by-law does not apply to employees/staff members working within public establishments while they are within an area of the building that is restricted to staff and not available to the public.

Are there fines? 

Yes. If a person who is not exempt under Mississauga’s Face Covering by-law is identified as refusing to wear a face covering, they can be issued a ticket and fined $150. Owners or operators of locations that are identified as failing to have a face covering policy in place or are failing to enforce that policy under Mississauga’s Face Covering by-law may also be charged and fined $300. In some circumstances, charges must be laid under Provincial regulations for failing to wear a face covering, and the fine is $750.


In extreme cases, officers have the option to lay charges under Part III of the Provincial Offences Act (POA), which could be up to $100,000.


Will I be refused service if I cannot wear a mask for medical reasons?

The owners and occupiers of public establishments have the right to set terms for service in their own premises and to deny people entry to their establishments, but must comply with the Ontario Human Rights Code and, in some cases, the Charter.


Both the City of Mississauga by-law and the Provincial regulations include an exemption for persons who cannot wear masks for medical reasons or reason of disability and does not require the owner/operator of a public establishment to deny service to someone who is not wearing a mask for medical reasons.


What type of face covering is acceptable? How should it be worn?

A face covering includes a mask, bandana, scarf or other covering constructed of cloth, linen or other similar fabric that fits securely to the head and is large enough to completely and comfortably cover the mouth, nose and chin without gaping.


Can I wear a face shield instead of a face covering?

A face shield is not an effective alternative to wearing a face covering (mask, bandana, neck warmer, scarf) as it does not provide full coverage of the mouth, nose and chin and does not contain your respiratory droplets.


If a face shield is used, it should be used together with a face covering. If used on its own, a face shield should cover below the chin and wrap around the sides of the face. Throw out disposable face shields after each use, or if reusable, clean and disinfect after each use. More information is available at


Face shields are not included in the definition of face covering in the by-law. Individuals could receive a ticket if they are not exempt from the by-law and are wearing a face shield rather than a face covering in an indoor public establishment.


How long will the by-law be in effect? 

The enforcement period for the by-law has been extended to June 30, 2021.


Will face coverings be provided in public places? 

Operators of establishments are not required to supply face coverings to the public.


Are face coverings or masks mandatory on public transit?

Wearing a face covering or mask is mandatory when travelling on MiWay and at transit terminals. Children under the age of two, people with disabilities or other medical conditions that prevent them from wearing any mask will not be required to wear one.


  • Relief for businesses
  • Temporary outdoor retail sales
  • Temporary restaurant patios
  • Personal Services
  • Construction Services


What are you doing to help businesses with economic recovery and to safely reopen?

The City is committed to helping Mississauga businesses mitigate the impacts of the pandemic. Some of the tools and resources available to support businesses during this time include:

  • Health, safety and re-opening resources aimed at informing and supporting your business
  • A business relief portal with information on government programs and incentives
  • Sector specific resources aimed at helping your business effectively and safely re-open
  • Opportunities for business to contribute to COVID-19 causes
  • Relevant news and program updates for the business community
  • Free webinars to help businesses respond to the impacts of COVID-19
  • Free business advisory services from legal, accounting, business operations and sales and marketing professionals
  • Mississauga Made – an online network of Mississauga-based businesses to promote your business and to shop local

To learn more about the resources and initiatives available to support Mississauga businesses, please visit the Mississauga Economic Development website at


Support for Mississauga Businesses

Guidance and resources to help Mississauga businesses can be found online at Call the Stop the Spread Business Information Line at 1-888-444-3659 for questions about what will be open or impacts to businesses or employment.


Additional resources can also be found on the City’s Business Relief Portal.


More information is also available through the City’s Economic Development Office.



Does the City allow outdoor retail sales?

On December 9, the City of Mississauga passed a temporary use by-law to permit outdoor retail sales and display in a variety of zones. This will benefit smaller retail stores that cannot rely upon online sales during the pandemic to generate revenue, or are restricted by provincial regulations mandating indoor capacity limits.


When does the temporary by-law for outdoor retail sales start and end?

Council has passed the temporary use by-law, but is subject to potential appeals, as required by the Planning Act. Provided that no appeals are received, retail businesses can start selling goods outdoors on January 6, 2021. The initiative ends on December 31, 2021.


Do I need permission from the City to display and sell goods outdoors?

If using City-owned property, you must get permission from the City. For municipal sidewalks, you must apply for an encroachment permit. For arenas, community centres and libraries, you must apply for a park permit.


You do not need a permit on private property, as long as you adhere to design requirements and comply with the zoning regulations for temporary outdoor retail sales and display. If using a temporary tent, you may need a building permit depending on the tent’s size and location.


Are there any fees for selling goods outdoors?

Council has waived any fees associated with having outdoor retail sales and display, with the exception of building permit fees.


What controls will be in place?

Municipal by-laws such as the City’s Noise Control By-law and Property Standards By-law will still be in effect for businesses operating outdoors.


What are the requirements for setting up an outdoor retail sales area?

The specifications for temporary outdoor retail on municipal sidewalks, private property or public facilities are available at


Is patio dining open?

No. Under the Lockdown regulation, outdoor dining is suspended.

Is residential construction permitted?

Yes.  Residential construction activities or projects and related services are permitted.  Some non-residential construction is also permitted . The full regulation is posted here:



  • Council and Committee Meetings


What is happening with Council and Committee meetings and how can the public participate and view these meetings?

Council and Committee meetings are closed for in-person participation. Virtual participation is available for Council and Committee (Audit Committee, Budget Committee, General Committee and Planning and Development Committee). Advisory Committees will operate virtually until further notice. Council and Committee meetings will continue to be live-streamed and available on Council and Committee Videos. Every member of the public must register in advance to speak, with registration details outlined on the agenda page.



  • Vaccination plan
  • Workplace reporting
  • COVID19 testing
  • Contact tracing
  • Self-isolation program
  • Public health data






When is it my turn to get a vaccine?

Peel Region is currently in Phase 2 of Ontario’s COVID-19 vaccination program. Vaccines will be available to the general public in Phase 3. These phases are documented on the Region’s website here:


Are the vaccines safe?

The Government of Canada is carefully reviewing all the scientific data and evidence for the vaccines, working on distribution plans, and accelerating purchases of the vaccines. As always, if you have concerns about your individual health needs, we encourage you to speak to your primary healthcare provider.


To learn more about the safety of COVID-19 vaccines, visit:


Can I book over the phone?
Yes – The Provincial booking line is 1-888-999-6488.



Who should be tested for COVID-19?

The Government of Ontario has information on what you need to know about COVID-19 testing and what to do before you go. Each assessment centre provides information about who can get tested at their location. If you are concerned for your well-being, please call 911 or proceed to your nearest emergency room. Peel’s COVID-19 assessment centres are here to help. At this time, testing is recommended if you:

  • Do not have symptoms (i.e., are asymptomatic), but are concerned you may have been exposed to COVID-19 or are at high risk of exposure through your employment/workplace, including essential workers (e.g., healthcare workers, grocery store and food processing plant employees)

Is there support for those who may not be able to self-isolate at home?

Anyone who is unable to safely self-isolate at home may be eligible to isolate through the Region of Peel COVID-19 Isolation and Recovery Program. The program includes a voluntary isolation centre located in a hotel in Peel, and offers hotel-quality amenities including a private bathroom, bedroom, meals, Wi-Fi, TV, telephone and room cleaning and laundry services.


The criteria for eligibility to participate in the program is available at or call the Region of Peel at 905-799-7700. You can also be referred to this program by hospital staff or a public health Case and Contact Manager.

Why are their differences in the data provided by the Region of Peel and the Province?

The Region of Peel and the Government of Ontario report the data at different times and Peel’s data include probable as well as confirmed cases. Peel’s data are extracted from the database and reported the same day, whereas the Province’s reporting is pulled from the same database but reported the following day.



  • Fare collection
  • Face coverings
  • Passenger capacity




Are face coverings mandatory on public transit?

Wearing a face covering or non-medical mask is mandatory when travelling on MiWay and at transit terminals. Children under the age of two, people with disabilities or other medical conditions that prevent them from wearing a face covering will not be required to wear one.


Is passenger capacity on MiWay buses still restricted?

Buses are operating at 100 per cent capacity. When a bus reaches capacity, stops will be missed. Customers are reminded of the requirement to wear a face covering or mask on buses and inside transit terminals. Wearing a face covering or non-medical mask is mandatory when travelling on MiWay, at stops and at transit terminals.



  • Property tax payments
  • Cashiers desk/tax counter


Can I pay my property taxes at City Hall?

The Cashiers Desk and Tax Counter remain closed to the public at this time; in-person payment is not available. Payments can be made:

  • In the Pre-authorized Tax Payment Plan (PTP)
  • At your financial institution
  • By cheque in the drop box at City Hall located at the cashier’s counter on the ground floor or outside of the building on the North side.
  • By mail. Mail your property tax cheque including post-dated cheques payable to “Mississauga Taxes” to:

Mississauga Taxes
PO Box 3040, Station A
Mississauga ON L5A 3S4

The cheque must include the roll number you would like the payment applied to and also the stub from your tax bill.