October 21, 2019
Thank you for your interest in this critical issue in Port Credit, in fact, Ward 1 and the City as a whole. Allow me to highlight some of the issues regarding the funding proposal for the Marina of Port Credit.
- Canada Lands has conveyed the current break wall, the water lot and the land at the north-east side of the Marina to the City, provided that the project be completed or well underway within 10 years. Otherwise the property site would revert back to Canada Lands;
- The City is undergoing a significant transformation along the waterfront of Lake Ontario which is rich in its history, culture, and definitely of course tourism. For the first time in over a generation, the waterfront will be accessible for all;
- The marina is a rare entity on Lake Ontario as it has a deep water port and also provides over direct 150 jobs in the marina industry alone;
- Port Credit is a dynamic and unique Village on the lake and the indirect economic benefits are measured not only by boaters, the boating industry as well, but by the thousands of tourists that visit every year to be by the water and enjoy all types of boats;
- The Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program (ICIP) offers an opportunity for the City to receive 27 cents on the dollar to be able to submit a proposal to keep the Port in Port Credit – maintain a working marina, have boat slips, boat storages, and have 3.5 acres of new parkland for all to enjoy;
-It is critical that Mississauga continues to be home to a working marina. This comes at a time when the waterfront is going through a dramatic transformation. The City as a whole, will benefit from being known, the City with the impressive and spectacular waterfront;
This issue is expected to be before the General Committee meeting which on Wednesday, October 30, 2019 at 9:30 a.m. in the Council Chambers at City Hall.
I would like to personally invite you to come and if you would like to make a presentation before General Committee, please contact the General Committee Coordinator: Stephanie Smith at Stephanie.firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 905 866-3795. If you are unable to attend, please send me your comments on this matter and I will bring them forward to your Mayor, Commissioner of Community Services and Members of Council.